Tuesday, January 28th, 2020
Please view a message from the Ministry of Education here.
- The B.C. Provincial Health Officer Bonnie Henry has just announced that the first case of novel coronavirus has been confirmed in B.C. A man in his 40’s who is isolated at home.
- The Ministry of Education will continue to work closely with the Ministry of Health, local health authorities and other levels of government to ensure students and educators are kept informed and safe.
- Local health authorities are closely monitoring the situation.
- The Provincial Health Officer was clear, that close contacts to the first case of novel coronavirus are not showing symptoms and are being monitored closely. The person who has novel coronavirus is in isolation and all public health protocols have been followed.
- There is ongoing monitoring throughout B.C., nationally and internationally - we will continue to communicate when there are developments.
- The BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) has more information on its website about coronavirus.
- The BCCDC recommendations to reduce the risk of exposure are the same as fighting colds and flu:
- Wash your hands frequently (it’s the single most effective way of reducing infection spread.
- Practice other good hygiene habits: don’t touch your face/eyes/mouth with your hands, and cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough (ideally with a disposable tissue or the crease of your elbow)
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched workspace surfaces
- Maintain good general health (eat a balanced diet, get enough sleep, exercise in moderation)
- Stay home if you’re sick
- Contact 8-1-1 (HealthLink BC) or your health care provider for questions about your personal health situation
If the public has further questions, please dial 811.